Last November, during Thanksgiving vacation (which is about 4 days long here), we decided to relax at home rather than travel. We ended up watching a bunch of movies in the theater- Life of Pi, Lincoln and Skyfall to name a few. We eventually ended up watching most of the 2013 Oscar nominated movies over the next few months (Silver Linings Playbook, Flight, Les Miserables, etc).
As you can see, watching movies is one of our favorite family activities. We were really excited when a new theater opened nearby recently. What we like about it- cool location, reserved seating (so no rushing or waiting in long lines) and great drinks/snacks. They also have some unique flavors of popcorn- including Tandoori popcorn.
Here is my version for movie nights at home.
1/3 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
a few strands of saffron crumbled (optional- this makes the popcorn pretty expensive)
salt to taste
1. Prepare tandoori seasoning by combining the ground cardamom, cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic and saffron. Set aside.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil to a saucepan on low/medium heat.
3. When the oil has heated up, add the popcorn kernels and close the lid.
4. Close the lid and shake the saucepan gently as the popcorn kernels pop, ensuring that the kernels are cooking evenly.
5. Once the popping has slowed, remove the pan from the heat. Keep it closed a for another minute as the popcorn will continue to pop a bit.
6. Transfer the popcorn to a large mixing bowl.
7. Add in the tandoori seasonings.
8. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil.
9. Mix the popcorn well with a spatula.
10. Salt to taste. If you want it to be spicier, feel free to add a bit of ground cayenne pepper as well to taste.