Summer Corn & Black Bean Salad
When summer comes around, we invariably buy fresh corn from the farmers market. The taste, as with any fresh produce, is so different than the frozen kind. While it’s great just cooked and salted fresh from the cob, tasty summer corn pushes you to want to do a lot more.
I had an amazing vegan corn chowder at some place in Union Square in San Francisco about 10 years ago (yes, I still remember it). I need to try to recreate that sometime.
Corn would be great in some kind of spicy Indian dish. too.
Those are all for another day though. Today, I am going to relax (it is summer after all) and make a simple, flavorful, no stress salad.
It’s somewhat similar to my black bean salsa. You can have this salad as is or add in some cooked quinoa for a very filling lunch.
- 1 fresh corn cob (yielding about 6 ounces of kernels)
- 15 ounces black beans (cooked)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper (or your favorite color), cut into strips
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 1 serrano chili (optional)
- handful of chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- While the oven is preheating, cook the corn cobs for about 15 minutes in salted, boiling water over the stovetop.
- Remove the corn from the water and cool to room temperature.
- While the corn is cooking (and cooling), add the tomatoes and green bell peppers to a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and bake in the preheated oven until the tomatoes pop (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Remove the tomatoes and peppers from the oven and add to a serving dish.
- Once the corn is cooled, remove the corn from the cob and set aside.
- Heat a skillet with a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil.
- Once hot, add the corn and roast for about 5 minutes.
- Add the corn to the serving dish.
- Mix in the black beans.
- Season with black pepper, cumin, oregano and salt.
- Squeeze in the half lime. Mix well.
- Optional garnish- add diced serrano chiles and cilantro.
Copyright: Global Veg